Cruisey Cover

Step one

Trip Details.

  • We are sorry!

    We are unable to provide cover for this trip. Travellers aged over 80 years and over can only purchase travel insurance for a maximum duration of 6 months.

    Please visit our partner website to purchase travel insurance for this trip.



Cruise Travel Insurance- from ship to shore

At TINZ, we don't charge any extra if you're heading on a cruise! Cruise cover means you’ll leave port with nothing but plain sailing... so water you waiting for?

cruise insurance


We’re on board with you and don’t charge any extra if you’re heading on a cruise. With TINZ, you’re covered from ship to shore.

Cancellation cover


Don’t lose out if you have to cancel your trip. We offer cover for cancellation costs if you can no longer travel or have to return home early due to unforeseen events.

Travel delays


Airport delays are a common frustration when travelling. Our travel insurance provides you with compensation if you’re delayed for more than six hours.



Getting you to hospital quick-smart is of utmost importance. If you’re sick or injured at sea, we will get you to the nearest hospital.

pre existing conditions


Don’t let a pre-existing medical condition hinder your travels. We cover 35 existing medical conditions automatically for free.

Gadget cover


No doubt you’ll be taking a few gadgets away with you. Our plans provide different levels of cover for phones, iPads, cameras and laptops.

Longer cover


Whether you’re after the bare essentials or fully comprehensive cover, TINZ offers a range of options to suit all types of travellers and budgets.

emergency cover


Your health is our number one priority. Our emergency assistance experts are just a phone call away 24 hours a day, seven days a week.



Get cover for the things you love. Whether you’re an avid skier, an adrenalin junkie, a
gadget freak or a high-end holiday maker, TINZ has the extra cover you’re looking for.


There are always risks when you travel, even in your home country. Protect your New Zealand holiday with domestic travel insurance and get cover for rental car excess, luggage, personal effects, lost deposits and more.


Looking for ski insurance? Snow problem! TINZ covers a range of winter sports from skiing, snowboarding to heli-skiing & cat skiing. Simply select snow ski cover within the quote insurance


Are your travel plans packed with thrills and spills? Without proper cover, your heart-pounding adventure could leave you with a headache.adventure activities


Are you travelling with a group of friends, school or club? TINZ offers special rates that can save you significant time and money!


Do you have expensive items that you just can’t leave behind? You can add your tech toys, high-end cameras, or designer handbags to your policy as high value items..high value items


Don’t let a pre-existing medical condition get in the way of your travels.  We cover 35 existing medical conditions automatically for free. You can also apply to cover additional conditions by assessment.




Are you a frequent cruiser? If you’re planning to hit the deck several times this year a frequent traveller policy can save you time and money.

frequent traveller annual multi trip annual cruise cover

Our annual multi-trip policy covers an unlimited number of trips over a 12 month period. We give you the same level of cover as our comprehensive international plan, meaning you get full coverage for less. You can tailor your individual trip duration from 15 days up to 90 days. Please note this policy is only available for customers under the age of 64.



The key to calm water cruising is knowing you’re covered should something wrong. Because cruise cover is a little different to standard travel insurance, we've clarified any confusing queries below.

  • Q. do i need to purchase separate cruise cover?
  • No, We don’t charge any extra if you’re heading on a cruise. With TINZ, you’re covered from ship to shore.

  • Q. Do I need travel insurance for cruises in New Zealand waters?
  • Yes, travellers on domestic cruises in New Zealand waters must purchase an international plan to ensure they are covered for emergency medical assistance and medical and hospital expenses onboard.

  • Q: My cruise is visiting 10 ports, do I need to disclose all destinations?
  • Yes, you must tell us every country or region the ship will visit. If you neglect to do so you may not be covered for all the countries you are visiting.

  • Q: Are there any age limits?
  • Persons of any age can buy a policy, however trip limits do apply. Those under 69 years can purchase a policy for a maximum trip duration of 18 months only. Those over 70 can purchase a policy for a maximum trip duration of six months only

  • Q: Am I covered if I fall over and break a hip?
  • Yes, all our policies cover you for unlimited medical benefits. If you were to have an unforeseen accident on board you’d be covered.

  • Q: How much does it cost to visit the on-board doctor And will it be covered?
  • Simple treatments, consultations and medications on board a ship are charged at private rates. These can amount to $100 for just a quick 10-minute appointment. All our policies cover you for on-board doctor visits, prescribed drugs, hospital stays and more.

  •  Q: Am I covered for emergency helicopter evacuation?
  • Yes, if you have a serious accident or severe illness out at sea, we will pay for helicopter evacuation to get you to the nearest hospital on land.

  • Q: I'm going on multiple cruises this year. Should I buy annual multi-trip insurance?
  • Yes, if you on frequent cruises, you could  save by purchasing an annual multi-trip policy. This covers you for an unlimited number of holidays (on land and at sea) within 12 months. Frequent traveller policies are available to those under 64 years and under only.

  • Q. Am I covered if I want to cancel my cruise?
  • You are not covered for change of mind. Our cancellation benefits will cover you for transport and accommodation expenses if you experience delays or cancellation of your travel plans due to unforeseen circumstances. This can include illness, accident, natural disaster, bad weather. For more information see Policy Wording.

  • Q. Is my luggage covered?
  • Yes, at TINZ we cover you for theft, damage, delay and loss of your luggage and personal items on land and at sea.