destination downunder




Travel Insurance for australia

Ahh, we love a sunburnt country, we bet you feel the same.
While Australia may seem just a hop, skip and a jump away, you’re still on foreign terrain.
No matter the distance, travel insurance for your trip downunder is a fair dinkum idea!

emergency assistance

24/7 Emergency 

Your health is our number one priority. Our emergency assistance experts are just a phone call away 24 hours a day, seven days a week.



Don’t lose out if you have to cancel your Aussie trip. We offer cover if you can no longer travel or have to return home early due to unforeseen events.

travel delays


Downunder delays are a common frustration when travelling. Our policies provide you with compensation if you’re delayed more than six hours.

family emergency


Had to rush home or cancel due to a family emergency in New Zealand? Don't sweat, we’ll cover your lost non-refundable deposits.

rental vehicle excess


Had a ding in your rental car downunder? No dramas mate, we cover your rental vehicle excess giving you peace of mind on the roads.

gadget cover


Taking a few gadgets with you on your Australian adventure? Our plans provide various levels of cover for phones, iPads, cameras & laptops

longer cover


Whether you’re exploring the Outback or swimming in the Great Barrier Reef, don’t rush your trip.  TINZ offers cover for up to 18 months. Yeew!

cruise cover


We don’t charge you any extra for your cruise in Aussie waters. With TINZ, you’re covered from ship to shore. Ships ahoy!



Get cover for the things you love for your holiday to Australia. Whether you’re an adrenalin junkie, a gadget freak or a high-end holiday maker, TINZ has the extra cover you need.


There are always risks when you travel, even in your home country. Protect your New Zealand holiday with domestic travel insurance and get cover for rental car excess, luggage, personal effects, lost deposits and more.


Heading to the snowy mountains? Snow problem! TINZ covers winter sports from skiing, snowboarding to heli-skiing & cat skiing. Simply select snow ski cover within the quote insurance

Adventure Activities

Are your Aussie travel plans packed with thrills and spills? Without proper cover, your heart-pounding adventure could leave you with a headache.adventure activities


Are you travelling to Australia with a group? TINZ offers special rates that can save you significant time and money!

Specific Items

Do you have expensive items that you just can’t leave behind? You can add your tech toys, high-end cameras, or designer handbags to your policy as high value items..high value items


Don’t let a pre-existing medical condition get in the way of your travels.  We cover 35 existing medical conditions automatically for free. You can also apply to cover additional conditions by assessment.



Do you visit Australia often? Get comprehensive cover all year round. If you’re planning several trips downunder, or elsewhere this year a frequent traveller policy can save you time & money.

frequent traveller annual multi trip annual cruise cover

Our annual multi-trip policy covers an unlimited number of trips over a 12 month period. We give you the same level of cover as our comprehensive international plan, meaning you get full coverage for less. You can tailor your individual trip duration from 15 days up to 90 days. Please note this policy is only available for customers under the age of 64.



Travelling often means stepping out of your comfort zone, even in a country as neighbourly as Australia.  Flight delays, missed connections and lost luggage can thump your trip harder than a boxing kangaroo! Make sure you're covered for a range of travel disasters regardless of destination.

  • Q. Do I need medical cover while I’m in Australia?
  • New Zealand and Australia share reciprocal healthcare agreements meaning you will have access to government medical facilities and care while travelling in Australia. Whilst you may be eligible for reciprocal health care in Australia, this would not cover any additional accommodation costs, flights for family members or medical repatriation to New Zealand. TINZ can help to cover these costs should the worst-case scenario occur.

  • Q. Do you cover scuba diving in the barrier reef?
  • Absolutely. We agree that scuba diving is a great way to explore the deep blue sea. You're only covered if you hold an open water diving license or you are diving under licensed instruction.  If you are a qualified scuba diver you are covered for accompanied dives with a maximum depth of 30 metres. If you are unqualified you are covered for a maximum depth of 30 metres with an instructor. 

  • Q. Am I covered for all water sports DOWNUNDER?
  • Yes.  At TINZ we cater for those who enjoy getting wet.  We cover a wide range of waters sports such as surfing, scuba diving, snorkelling, kite surfing, canoeing, kayaking, white water rafting, water skiing & wakeboarding, stand up paddle boarding, jet skiing and more.  Please refer to our Sports & Activities Cover for a full list of covered activities.  This outlines activities requiring an additional premium and activities automatically covered for free.

  • q. Which activities are excluded?
  • We don’t cover outdoor rock climbing, hang-gliding, boating in international waters or any kind of professional or competition sports. For a full list of excluded activities please refer to PDS.

  • Q. How do alcohol and drugs affect my cover?
  • When it comes to alcohol we understand that for some, there’s no better way to kick off a holiday than with a poolside cocktail (or two). However, we would exclude any claims involving drugs/or alcohol. Please note this exclusion is only applicable if it was your intoxication that resulted in the claim. Refer to our PDS to see a full list of exclusions.

  • Q. would my SLR camera, engagement ring or laptop be covered?
  • It depends. We will pay up to $1,000 for standard individual single items and $3,000 for personal computers, video recorders or cameras. If you have an item that exceeds either of these costs you can insure it separately up to an additional $5,000.  You are only able to cover an item of jewellery for up to $1,000. For more information on insuring specific items during your travels, please refer to our high value items page.

  • Q. Are kids covered for free?
  • All of TINZ's travel insurance policies cover kids at no additional cost. Your child is eligible if they are financially dependent, under twenty one (19) years, travelling together with a parent or grandparent for 100% of the holiday, and are named on the Certificate of Insurance.