Park Your Worries!




rental car excess - more cover for less

If you’re hiring a car, it seems sensible to pay to reduce the rental car excess to avoid a huge bill if there’s an accident. But there’s no need to get stung at the rental desk, we’ve got your rental car excess insurance covered.

Cheap Car Hire Insurance


A TINZ policy is up to 50% cheaper than the daily rental desk
rip offs, plus you get plenty of additional travel insurance benefits too.

Car Accident or Theft

or theft

Whether it’s an accidental door dent, a little side scrape in the car park, or your entire car has been stolen, you can park your worries with TINZ.

Rental Car Excess Reimbursement


You'll be reimbursed for your rental car excess (or cost of repairing the rental vehicle if this is cheaper) if your hire car is involved in an accident, is damaged, or stolen.

Rental Car Return


We’ll cover you for the cost up to $500 of returning your vehicle to the nearest depot if a medical advisor certifies that you are unfit to do so.

Regardless of Fault

of fault

You’re covered no matter who was at fault. You're covered up to $6,000 for the rental vehicle excess applicable whether it was your fault or someone else’s.

Cancellation Cover


Don’t lose out on your prepaid hire car costs. We cover your out of pocket expenses if you have to cancel your trip due to unforeseen events.

Travel Cover


In addition to rental vehicle excess, you'll be covered for lost luggage, trip cancellation, overseas medical emergencies and more travel benefits.

Emergency Help

24/7 emergency

Your health is always our number one priority. Our emergency assistance experts are just a phone call away 24 hours a day, seven days a week.



Get cover for the things you love. Whether you’re an avid skier, an adrenalin junkie, a
gadget freak or a high-end holiday maker, TINZ has the extra cover you’re looking for.


There are always risks when you travel, even in your home country. Protect your New Zealand holiday with domestic travel insurance and get cover for rental car excess, luggage, personal effects, lost deposits and more.


Looking for ski insurance? Snow problem! TINZ covers a range of winter sports. Simply select snow ski cover within the quote process. Refer to your hire car company for any limitations on driving within snowy mountains.

Adventure Activities

Whether you're piloting a porshe or jumping from a plane, if you're planning a road trip full of adventure be sure to check out and adventure pack for activities covered.


Are you travelling with a group of friends, school or club? TINZ offers special rates that can save you significant time and money!

Specific Items

Do you have expensive items that you just can’t leave behind? You can add your tech toys, high-end cameras, or designer handbags to your policy as high value items..high value items


Don’t let a pre-existing medical condition get in the way of your travels.  We cover 35 existing medical conditions automatically for free. You can also apply to cover additional conditions by assessment.




If you often hire cars during your travels, a frequesnt traveller policy could save you a fortune. 
Paying to reduce your excess with the rental car companies can double the cost of hiring your car.
A frequent traveller travel insurance policy can save you time and money.

frequent traveller annual multi trip annual cruise cover

Our annual multi-trip policy covers an unlimited number of trips over a 12 month period. We give you the same level of cover as our comprehensive international plan, meaning you get full coverage for less.
Park your worries and drive away with peace of mind. 
This policy is only available for customers under the age of 64.


 rental car insurance FAQ's

The key to saving yourself from thousands in damages when hiring cars is to understand what you're covered for.
 We reveal the good, the bad, and the ugly on car rental insurance with our frequentaly asked questions.

  • Q: What is rental vehicle excess? 
  • Most rental cars come with standard hire car insurance included (often called basic insurance), but if your hire car is damaged or stolen, the ‘excess’ is the amount of money you have to pay the rental company upon returning the vehicle. The excess is usually around $3,000 to $5,000 for a standard vehicle.

  • Q: Do I need to buy extra rental vehicle excess cover?
  • No,  you do not have to pay to reduce or waive your excess. At TINZ, we don’t charge any extra for rental vehicle excess insurance. Our customers can spontaneously hire a car for a couple of days during their journey, and drive away worry free. Rental vehicle excess insurance is included as standard in all of our plans except Essentials.

  • Q: Am I covered medical expenses in the event of an accident?
  • Yes, Travel insurance New Zealand (TINZ) provides cover for your medical costs if you’re injured in an accident overseas. You’re covered if you happen to crash your car and need an ambulance, medical treatment or hospital accommodation.

  • Q: Do you cover Provisional or probationary (P) Licence drivers?
  • We will cover the same conditions as the rental company that you hire your car from.  Many rental companies have restrictions on inexperienced drivers, but if the hire car company will cover you, then so will we.

  • Q: Are there any age limits?
  • Age limits depend upon the policy that you purchase.  Persons of any age can generally buy a policy, however trip limits do apply. Travellers aged 69 years and under can purchase a policy for maximum trip duration of 18 months. Those aged over 70 can purchase a policy for maximum trip duration of 6 months only. Be sure to check whether any age limits apply with your rental vehicle company.

  • Q: Am I covered for damages and repairs to the car?
  • You will be covered for your excess liability or the cost of repair, whichever amount is lower, provided your rental agreement includes some form of motor vehicle insurance.

    It is important to note that TINZ’s rental vehicle excess benefit does not replace standard rental vehicle insurance. Travel insurance does not cover you for the actual damage you cause to a car or the total cost of getting that damage repaired. The benefit is limited to your nominated excess or damage waiver liability.

  •  Q: what are the exclusions to the cover?
  • We cover the same scenarios that are covered under your rental vehicle agreement. We won't pay any claims if you violate your rental car agreement; or if you are affected by alcohol or illegal drugs; or if you don't hold the correct licence for the vehicle you're operating. Terms and conditions, limits and exclusions apply. Please refer to Section 17 of the policy wording (PDS).

  • Q: how do i make a claim?
  • To make a claim, you'll need to provide copies of the relevant documents including your rental vehicle agreement and repair account. For full terms, conditions and exclusions please refer to the to the policy wording (PDS).

  • Q: Will I have to pay an excess in the event of a claim?
  • Yes.  Depending upon the policy that you purchased our standard $100 excess will apply, unless you chose to double the excess to reduce your premium. In this case the excess would be $200.  The excess amount payable in the even of a claim will be noted on your certificate of insurance.

  • Q: Am I covered if hiring a car in New Zealand?
  • Absolutely. We cover you when hiring a car within your hometown. Many TINZ customers purchase a domestic policy to save on the extortionate rental car excess reduction fees charged at the front desk when picking up your hire car.  If you're a Kiwi looking for travel linsurance within New Zealand only, visit our domestic travel insruance page. 

    If you're interested in buying our annual Frequent Traveller plan, you need to be 50km from your home of residence to be covered for rental vehicle excess.

  • Q: Can I drive overseas?
  • Yes. We cover New Zealand residents when hiring cars overseas.  You can enjoy the rental vehicle excess benefit under our Comprehensive, Comprehensive Plus and Frequent Traveller plans.  If you’re planning on driving in other countries it’s a good idea to obtain an International Drivers Permit (IDP).

  • Q: Am I covered if I drive a friend’s car while visiting them overseas?
  • No.  Cover is only available for rental cars from a licenced rental agency.

  • Q: What type of vehicles do you cover?
  • We cover many types of rental vehicles. We cover campervans and motorhomes that do not exceed 4.5 tonne, compact cars such as sedans and hatchbacks, mid sized wheels such as station-wagons and four wheel drives; and even mini buses and people movers that are rented from a licensed motor vehicle rental company.

  • Q: Do you cover motorcycles?
  • No. Motorcycles are not covered under this benefit.

  • Q: How many drivers are covered? 
  • All persons named on your certificate of insurance and listed on your rental vehicle agreement are covered.  Drivers without a TINZ travel insurance policy are not covered by this benefit.

  • Q: which rental car companies do you cover? 
  • Your TINZ policy covers you for the excess charged by any hire car company, provided it is a licenced motor vehicle rental agency. This includes all the major international brands such as Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Thrify, Sixt and more, along with the smaller local suppliers such as affordablecars, NZDCR and Ezi Car Rental.