Safeguard your staycation

Step one

Trip Details.

  • We are sorry!

    We are unable to provide cover for this trip. Travellers aged over 80 years and over can only purchase travel insurance for a maximum duration of 6 months.

    Please visit our partner website to purchase travel insurance for this trip.

Single Trip | Annual Multi-Trip
TRAVEL ALERTS: View the latest travel information that may affect your trip. 

Domestic travel insurance

Disasters can strike anywhere at any time, even in your own backyard. Our domestic travel
insurance will cover your New Zealand holiday escape for trip cancellation, lost luggage,
family emergencies, rental vehicle excess and more!

rental vehicle excess


Had a ding in your rental car? We cover your rental vehicle excess giving you peace of mind on the roads.

cancellation cover


Had to cancel? We offer cover if you can no longer travel or have to return home early due to a range of unforeseen events.

travel delays


Delays are a common frustration when travelling.  We provide you with compensation if you’re delayed for more than six hours.

family emergency


Had to rush home or cancel due to a family emergency? We’ll cover your lost non-refundable deposits.

luggage cover


Whether you’re near or far from home we don’t discriminate. Your luggage is covered in the event of loss or theft.

gadget cover


Small devices such as smartphones and tablets are easily lost or stolen. Our domestic plan provides cover for your gadgets.

domestic ski


Hitting the Remarkables or Treble cone? Snow problem! Simply add on ski cover when getting quotes. Swoosh Swoosh!

personal liability


In the event of an accident we cover your legal liability should you cause loss or damage to a third person’s property.



Get cover for the things you love. Whether you’re an avid skier, an adrenalin junkie, a
gadget freak or a high-end holiday maker, TINZ has the extra cover you’re looking for.


Love to explore by the sea? Cruise insurance means you’ll leave port with nothing but plain sailing! So water you waiting for?


Looking for ski insurance? Snow problem! TINZ covers a range of winter sports from skiing, snowboarding to heli-skiing & cat skiing. Simply select snow ski cover within the quote insurance


Are your travel plans packed with thrills and spills? Without proper cover, your heart-pounding adventure could leave you with a headache.adventure activities


Are you travelling with a group of friends, school or club? TINZ offers special rates that can save you significant time and money!


Do you have expensive items that you just can’t leave behind? You can add your tech toys, high-end cameras, or designer handbags to your policy as high value items..high value items


Don’t let a pre-existing medical condition get in the way of your travels.  We cover 35 existing medical conditions automatically for free. You can also apply to cover additional conditions by assessment.




Get comprehensive cover all year round. If you’re planning several trips this year internationally and domestically a frequent traveller policy can save you time and money.

frequent traveller annual multi trip annual cruise cover

Our annual multi-trip policy covers an unlimited number of trips over a 12 month period. We give you the same level of cover as our comprehensive international plan, meaning you get full coverage for less. You can tailor your individual trip duration from 15 days up to 90 days. Please note this policy is only available for customers under the age of 64.






Just as travel makes you more vulnerable halfway across the Atlantic, it’s important to remember that trouble
can also strike nearby. Even though you’re still covered medically by the ACC while
you’re in New Zealand, there are a multitude of travel mishaps that could affect your mini getaway.

  • Q. Do I need travel insurance if I have medical cover?
  • While you are covered medically by the ACC in New Zealand, or by your Private Health Insurance provider, there are plenty of additional benefits to domestic cover. Domestic travel insurance covers you for theft or loss of your belongings, cancellation or delay expenses, rental vehicle excess and a host of other predicaments.

  • Q. How far do I need to be from home to buy domestic cover?
  • There are no distance restrictions on domestic single trips. So long as you’re not holidaying at home you can apply for domestic cover! However, our domestic frequent traveller policy requires you to be at least 50km away from home to be eligible for cover.

  • Q. Am I covered on a domestic policy if I'm travelling on a cruise in New Zealand waters?
  • No. Travellers on domestic cruises in New Zealand Waters must purchase an international plan to ensure cover is available for emergency assistance and medical and hospital expenses while onboard.

  • Q. What is the cover limit on rental vehicle excess?
  • With TINZ you can rent a car without stressing about the possibility of any potential damages. TINZ includes a $6,000 rental vehicle excess cover as standard on our Comprehensive and Comprehensive Plus plans, saving you on exorbitant insurance excess fees when you hire a car.

  • Q. Do I need rental vehicle insurance if my travel insurance covers rental vehicle excess?
  • Yes. Please be aware the rental vehicle excess benefit does not take the place of rental vehicle insurance. We will reimburse you up to $6,000 for any excess or deductible if your rental vehicle is damaged or stolen while you are driving (or while in your custody).

  • Q. What is the cancellation cover limit on a domestic policy?
  • We know that sometimes events out of your control can impact on your travel plans. TINZ covers you for non-refundable, pre-paid trip cancellation costs should you need to cancel your holiday booking. The amount you are covered for depends on the plan you choose.

  • Q. What is the luggage cover limit on a domestic policy?
  • You don’t have to be far from home to experience the sting of losing your luggage. Your belongings can AWOL no matter where you are. With TINZ your luggage and personal effects are covered for up to $15,000.

  • Q. Are there any age limits that I need to consider?
  • There are no age limits for domestic single trips. However, travellers aged 80 years and over can only purchase cover for up to three months. 

  • Q. Can I buy travel insurance for visitors visiting me in New Zealand?
  • No. TINZ policies are available to New Zealand residents only.

  • Q. Is there a maximum trip duration for domestic trips?
  • Yes, the maximum length for domestic trips is 92 days.