The Big Apple Awaits

Step one

Trip Details.

  • We are sorry!

    We are unable to provide cover for this trip. Travellers aged over 80 years and over can only purchase travel insurance for a maximum duration of 6 months.

    Please visit our partner website to purchase travel insurance for this trip.





Travel Insurance for the USA

California dreamin’ or mid West road tripping- no matter the adventure you’ve got in mind, the
USA’s guaranteed to please.  Ready to hit the road? First things first…

emergency assistance

24/7 Emergency 

Our number one priority? Your health. So wherever in the US you are, any time of day, give us a call if a health emergency strikes.


cancellation cover


Whether it's bad weather or you've fallen ill unexpectedly, we've got you covered for unforseen disasters.

travel delays


Delayed by more than six hours? Don't sleep at the airport eating out of vending machines- the food and accommodation's on us.



Terrorism is a part of our world - it should be part of your insurance coverage. Cancellation and medical is covered in a range of terrorism scenarios.


Riding a Motorbike
or Scooter

You’re covered on two wheels, so long as you’re wearing a helmet and the driver holds a valid licence recognised in the USA.

gadget cover


Oops, you've been mugged in a New York minute! Not to fear, our plans provide levels of cover for phones, iPads, and cameras.

longer cover


The USA's a big place - stay for a long time.We let you stay away from home for up to 18 months so you can see it all in one trip.

cruise insurance


A USA and Canada cruise is popular amongst holidaymakers. Luckily, cruising is automatically included under our policies.

USA traveller's guide

As the third-largest country in the world, there is certainly a lot to see in the USA. Here's some of travel experts/ favourite spots and quick tips.

USA Visa New Zealand  VISAS

New Zealand passport holders are eligible for a visa waiver program, know as the ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorisation), for stays in the USA of 90 days or less. Any time spent in Canada and Mexico will also be included in the 90 days. To be eligible, you must be travelling for tourism or business, have an onward or return ticket, and not have a criminal record. It is recommended that you apply for an ESTA when you start booking your trip, and no more than 72 hours before departure. It costs $14USD to process - if the site you're on tries to charge you more, you're on an agent's, rather than the Government's website.

Best Time to Visit USA  BEST TIME TO VISIT

The USA is a huge place - even in the middle of winter, where it can be -17C in Chicago, it can be a balmy 30C in Miami, so there really is no bad time to visit the USA. Generally, visting during their autumn (September through November) to enjoy brisk weather and watch the leaves change colour and skip the lines at the theme parks, December to February for a white Christmas, iceskating and skiing, or Summer and Spring for long warm days in the great outdoors.


We couldn't give you tips without talking about tips. The US has a very low minimum wage, and tipping is not only customary - it keeps people alive in their hypercapitalist system. Generally, it is expected that you will tip 15-20% of the pre-tax bill at a sit-down restaurant, and a $1 per drink when you order at a bar. Fast food chain servers, like the folks who take your order at McDonalds, generally do not expect a tip, although you may see a tip jar on the counter. If you're getting a taxi, 10-15% is fairly common, while other services, such as hairdressing, often receive a 20% tip.


The USA is huge, so if you're not staying in the centre of a major city, hiring a car is a very sensible option - if you're a very capable driver (they drive on the opposite side of the road). Many of the USA's most famous destinations are far from public transport options, and it can be hugely challenging for non-drivers to get there.

Amtrack are the major intercity train operation, while Greyhound buses are typically the fastest way to get from A to B.

If you're in cities like New York, the subway cannot be beaten for its frequency, price and accessability. It can however be beaten for its cleanliness.

Otherwise, intracity public transport options are not standardised within states or even within cities, so there can be many different private bus operators running in the same area requiring different payment cards. Many states have signed onto the universal 511 public transport line to assist you in figuring out how to get where you you want to go. Google Maps and Rome2Rio can also be incredibly helpful.

When I was growing up, I don't remember being told that America was created so that everyone could get rich. I remember being told it was about opportunity and the pursuit of happiness. Not happiness itself, but the pursuit.

- Martin Scorsese, Filmmaker

What to Eat America  WHAT TO EAT

Let's be real - a lot of American food is deep fried, full of sugar, and frankly a health hazard. So some of these local delicacies really should be considered a sometimes food...

Tater tots: The little brother of the hash brown, Americans eat about 32 million kilos of these fried potato goodies annually.

Twinkies: Invented in the 1930s, these golden sponge cakes with cream filling are available at all grocery and convenience stores. It's not uncommon to see these heart attacks waiting to happen in a deep fried version, after it became commonplace at the Texas State Fair.

Mac and Cheese: While there is nothing particularly American about pasta or cheese, this popular dish can be enjoyed at the most expensive restaurants drizzled with truffle oil, or rehydrated from a 50c packet from Wallmart. President Thomas Jefferson is said to have enjoyed it so much on a European trip, he requested 'macaroni pie' for a state dinner.

Corn bread: Native Americans were making corn bread long before European colonisers arrive in America. It is a cornerstone of Southern US cooking, made from ground raw corn grains, soaked in hot salty water to loosen and separate the bran. It was particularly popular during the American Civil War because it was cheap and calorically dense.

Jambalya: Jambalya, and the related gumbo or crawfish pie, are a spiritual cousin of paella. A thick stew with meat, vegetables and rice, the version popular in New Orleans features shrimp and sausages.

Where to Go USA  WHERE TO GO

The USA is a big place - what kind of holiday are you looking for?

New York: Where else to start but "the greatest city in the world"? If you arrive early enough (think six hours early!) you can get in a line to get free or heavily discounted (think $40 for a $400 ticket) entry to Broadway shows which have sold out months in advance. If you don't mind lining up, you can also visit a number of free live TV tapings of shows like SNL or the Tonight Show. Eat food from all over the world, climb the Empire State Building, or check out the emerging artists, comedians and muscians who call New York home.

California/Florida: If beaches, movie magic and theme parks are your jam, the warm waters of the Pacific and the Carribean are must visit spots. California is home to Disneyland, Hollywood, and the famous Venice Beach, while Florida hosts Disneyworld, Universal Studios Orlando, and Will Smith's South Beach.

South Dakota: Come for Mt Rushmore, stay for the bonkers, only-in-America destinations. A few kilometres from Mt Rushmore is the Crazy Horse Monument, carved out of a mountain by a polish family since 1948, which has barely started. The state is also home to Mitchell, a town dedicated to corn, Deadwood, a town made famous for gold rushes and cowboys, and Kevin Costner's restaurant/museum dedicated to himself.

Chicago: Visit the Art Insitute of Chicago and hire a Ferrari to follow in the footsteps of Ferris Bueller.

Louisiana: New Orleans French Quarter is like Disneyland for grown ups - most of it is closed off to cars, so you can wander around and discover street performers of all kinds, cocktail in hand because you can pop up to a window and get service before carrying on with your day. The food and music is unmissable. 

America Travel  NEXT STOP!

Planning on heading elsewhere on your trip? Whether you're saying 'Hey!' to the USA, or you're chilling in China, TINZ has you covered.



Get cover for the things you love. Whether you’re an avid skier, an adrenalin junkie, a
gadget freak or a high-end holiday maker, TINZ has the extra cover you’re looking for.


Some say the only way to see the USA is via the road. If you're renting a car, you can drive feeling extra secure - TINZ policies include automatic rental vehicle excess cover of $6,000. So whether you get a ding from behind or find a deer in the headlights, you know you're covered.


Skiing in Aspen or Lake Tahoe? A helicopter off the mountain can get expensive! You can choose our Ski Cover add-on so you're covered for some of the most popular winter sports. 


Like exploring the outdoors? You're in the right place! From horseriding to hiking, you can add our Adventure Pack to get cover for more of the activities things you love.


We offer automatic discounts for groups - so booking together can help you start saving pennied now!


Taking the camera with you? Makes sense! You can list high value items up to $5000 for added peace of mind.


We cover 36 pre-existing medical conditions automatically, and then a very wide range of conditions via declaration. Simply get a quote, add your extras, and do the online medical screening form - we'll tell you immediately if we can cover you.



Heading to the Big Apple for work? Dropping into California for leisure? If you’re planning several trips to the USA this year a frequent traveller policy can save you time and money.

annual travel insurance frequent traveller annual cruise cover

Get more cover for less! Our annual multi-trip policy covers travellers under 64 years of age for an unlimited number of trips over a 12-month period. You can tailor your individual trip duration from 15 days up to 90 days.




Whether it’s your first or 21st time in the United States, we want you to enjoy your adventure worry free. Medical costs are notoriously high in America, so you can breathe easy knowing that you'll be covered should you fall ill or are injured.

  • Q. Do you cover hire cars?
  • Although hiring a rental vehicle affords you plenty of freedom on your travels, there’s always the possibility that you may damage your hire car. TINZ includes $6,000 rental vehicle excess cover as standard on our Comprehensive and Comprehensive Plus plans, saving you on exorbitant insurance excess fees when you hire a car.

  • Q. Do you cover terrorism?
  • Unlike most insurers we don’t exclude terrorism. If you’re caught up in an act of terror, we’ll pay for your flight home, cover your medical costs and in some cases, reimburse you for trip cancellation. See Policy Document for further details.

  • Q. Do you cover adventure sports?
  • At TINZ we cater to those with a taste for adventure. We cover a wide range of adventure sports such as bungee jumping, scuba diving (max depth 30 metres), jet skiing, kayaking and more. Click to see a full list of covered activities.

  • Q.Do you cover skiing?
  • If you are taking part in any kind of winter sports activity, you must purchase our Snow Ski Cover.

  • Q.Do you cover me if i've been drinking?
  • When it comes to alcohol we understand that for some, there’s no better way to kick off a holiday than with a poolside cocktail (or two). However, we would exclude any claims involving drugs/or alcohol. Please note this exclusion is only applicable if it was your intoxication that resulted in the claim.

  • Q.Do you cover laptops, cameras, engagement rings?
  • It depends. We will pay up to $1,000 for individual single items and $3,000 for personal computers, video recorders or cameras. If you have an item that exceeds either of these costs you can insure it separately up to an additional $5,000. Unfortunately, we are only able to cover an item of jewellery for up to $1,000.

  • Q.Are kids covered for free?
  • We cover your dependants at no extra charge provided you are on the policy. A dependant refers to your child or grandchild not in full-time employment under the age of 19 and travelling with you on your journey for 100% of the time.