Your Bali break




Travel Insurance for Bali

Whether it’s fun in the sun you’re chasing, a spot of high end resort living or simply a chance to relax and unwind, Bali’s got you sorted. Need travel insurance? That’s where we come in.

emergency assistance

24/7 Emergency 

Your health is our number one priority. Our emergency assistance experts are just a phone call away 24 hours a day, seven days a week.




Don’t lose out if you have to cancel your trip. We offer cover if you can no longer travel or have to return home early due to unforeseen events.

travel delays


Delays are a common frustration when travelling. Our travel insurance provides you with compensation if you’re delayed for more than six hours.



Terrorism knows no borders, so we don't exclude cover for it. We’ll pay for your flight home, medical costs and in some cases trip cancellation.

motorbike insurance

Riding a Motorbike
or Scooter

Following the law and wearing a helmet? You're covered to ride any engine class if you have a local or NZ motorbike licence.

gadget cover


Monkey ate your iPad? We ofter a range of cover for gadgets and other high value items - so you can pack peace of mind with your devices too.

longer cover


That’s right, we go for longer. Most insurers limit their cover to twelve months, with TINZ you can get cover for up to 18 months.

cruise insurance


Setting sail on a cruise ship overseas? You're automatically covered for cruising under all our international travel insurance plans.

Bali traveller's guide


Bali Visa New ZealandVISAS

New Zealand passport holders are eligible for visa-free short stays in Indonesia. If you’re travelling to Bali for a leisure holiday for less than 30 days, you do not need to apply for a visa to enter Indonesia. If you're staying for more than 30 days for tourism, you will need to apply for a visa on arrival, which is around $50-55NZD. You can pay with cash or on card. Alternatively, you can apply for this and other visas types from an Embassy or Consulate of Indonesia.

Don't forget - your passport must be valid for a minimum of 6 months and your passport must have a minimum of 2 free pages available.

Best Time to Visit BaliBEST TIME TO VISIT

Bali is warm all year round, and it's average high temperature rarely varies between 28C and 32C. The rainy season is typically October to March, 

Unpack your jeans, Bali is hot to trot all year-round with an average temperature of 32 degrees. April, May, June and September are optimal times to go if you want to avoid high season prices and crowds. High season is July and August, during the Easter holidays, and December and January during the Christmas and new year holiday period. The rainy season is typically October to March.


Be prepared to sweat - it's around 30C all year round. Bring a water bottle that you'll refill, not throw away - Bali is notorious for the plastic waste which covers many of its beaches. Much of this comes from tourists, so we all have to try harder to be better caretakers of this wonderful island.

Bring the mosquito repellent and the sunscreen - you'll need it! 

Steer clear of the stray dogs and monkeys - rabies is a huge problem in Bali, and can be painful and sometimes fatal if not treated quickly enough.

Bali is located with the Pacific Ring of Fire - a hotbed for volcanic activity and earthquakes. Recently, the Mt Agung volcano has been the hot topic for travellers going to Bali. If an event is in the mass media, it is known as a 'known event', and is excluded from cover by most insurers. If your insurer is not covering Mt Agung, it means you may be stuck in Bali for a few extra days at your expense should it erupt. Your airline will generally just reschedule your flight, so you are unlikely to experience extra cost there, but you will have to cover any extra accommodation and meals.

Getting Around BaliGETTING AROUND

Ngurah Rai International Airport, also known as Denpasar Airport, is located in the south of Bali. Thanks to significant numbers of Western tourists, it is very easy to find signage that will get you where you want to go. Outside the airport, there will be drivers and hotel personnel will be holding up name signs. While it can be handy to book one in advance, you can also catch a taxi from the nearby taxi service counter. Make sure you have taken out cash from an ATM first, and opt for a metered taxi service, otherwise you might get ripped off.

While hiring motorbikes and scooters is a popular and cheap way to get around, it's important to note that you can void your cover if you don't have a local or New Zealand motorbike license, or if you aren't wearing a helmet. Don't risk eye-watering medical bills, or worse - make sure you're covered, and if you're not, don't ride.

Taxis and private cars are a great alternative, but again, make sure that the meter is turned on at the beginning of the drive.

The public transport options leave a lot to be desired, so be prepared to taxi or scooter, or if you're on a budget, you can just walk around.

Indonesia is the world's third-largest democracy. And we also have the world's largest Muslim population... Democracy and Islam are not incompatible.

- Joko Widodo, Indonesian President

What to Eat BaliWHAT TO EAT

Babi Guling - served with pork sausage, rice, coconut and chilli salad and slow-roasted meat, usually pork. This is one of Bali's most iconic dishes.

Nasi Campur - are you a fan of bibimbap or poke bowls? You might like Nasi Campur, an assorted of Indonesia's tastiest dishes served together with rice. Typically featuring grilled chicken, beef curry, and different sambals, it can't be beaten if you want a little bit of everything.

Sate Lilit Ikan - Minced, spiced, and skewered fish grilled over an open fire or coals, and served with sambal.

Mie Goreng - No, not the straight out of the packet kind! Mie Goreng (and Nasi Goreng, its rice equivalent) are practically Indonesia's national dish. Try the fresh fried noodle version with a fried egg, mixed vegetables, pickles and often chicken or beef.

Kapsalon Fries - Like loaded fries, but with a Balinese twist. Cheese, hot sauce, spiced beef or chicken and fresh shallots are heaped onto a plate of fries.

Where to Go BaliWHERE TO GO

Backpacker on a shoestring budget? Kuta is a bustling, budget traveller-friendly place with a high amount of English spoken. Alternatively, lap up luxury with beachfront hotels in Seminyak, or head to Ubud, Bali's cultural heart for a less touristy experience. Island hopping in Indonesia is easy, so if you're keen to get away, 

Bali TravelNEXT STOP!

Planning on heading elsewhere on your trip? Whether you're saying 'Hey!' to the USA, or you're chilling in China, TINZ has you covered.



Get cover for the things you love. Whether you’re an avid skier, an adrenalin junkie, a
gadget freak or a high-end holiday maker, TINZ has the extra cover you’re looking for.


Thinking of staying home instead? There are always risks when you travel, even in your home country. Protect your New Zealand holiday with domestic travel insurance and get cover for rental car excess, luggage, personal effects, lost deposits and more.


Bali too hot for you? Keen to hit the slopes somewhere else? Keep your cool and add Ski Cover to be covered for a range of winter sports.

Adventure Activities

Scuba diving or hiking in Bali? We have a huge range of activities automatically included, or you can choose our Adventure add-on for more thrills and spills. 


We offer automatic discounts if you're applying with a large group, so you can have everyone covered in the one place.

Specific Items

Do you have expensive items that you just can’t leave behind? You can add your tech toys, high-end cameras, or designer handbags to your policy as high value items..high value items


Don’t let a pre-existing medical condition get in the way of your travels.  We cover 35 existing medical conditions automatically for free. You can also apply to cover additional conditions by assessment.



Planning numerious Bali breaks this year?  If you’re planning several island hops this year a frequent traveller policy can save you time and money.

frequent traveller annual multi trip annual cruise cover

Our annual multi-trip policy covers an unlimited number of trips over a 12 month period. We give you the same level of cover as our comprehensive international plan, meaning you get full coverage for less. You can tailor your individual trip duration from 15 days up to 90 days. Please note this policy is only available for customers under the age of 64.




Tricky question about travelling in Bali? Don't worry - we're already heard most of them. Check out our FAQs below. If you have a question about Bali travel that we haven't covered, contact us or chat in our chat box below (during office hours).

  • Q. Am I covered to ride a motorbike or scooter?
  • Yes, so long as you wear a helmet (regardless of whether you are the driver or riding pillion) and hold a valid license that is recognised in Bali. If you were to sustain an injury while riding a motorbike or scooter you’d be covered provided you abide by the above.

    We've got some great tips on riding motorbikes and scooters overseas.

  • Q. Am I covered in the event of a terror attack?
  • Unlike most insurers we don’t exclude terrorism. If you’re caught up in an act of terror, we’ll pay for your flight home, cover your medical costs and in some cases, reimburse you for trip cancellation. See Policy Document for further details.

  • Q. Am I covered for activities and water sports?
  • At TINZ we cater to those with a taste for adventure. We cover a wide range of adventure sports such as bungee jumping, scuba diving (max depth 30 metres), jet skiing, kayaking and more. Click here to see a full list of covered activities.

  • Q. Am I covered in the event of a volcanic eruption or other natural disaster?
  • In the event that you are affected by an unforeseen natural disaster (and have bought a comprehensive policy), you would be covered for travel disruptions, additional accommodation expenses and lost deposits. However, in order to be covered you would need to have purchased a policy before news of the natural disaster hit the mainstream media.

  • Q.Am I covered for ‘Bali Belly’, Malaria or Dengue fever?
  • As Bali is a developing country there are medical risks we don’t have back at home. However, you can be rest assured that all our policies cover you for unlimited medical benefits if you were to fall ill. This includes access to hospitals, ambulance, doctors and evacuation and repatriation home if required. Read our travel vaccine guide for more heathcare advice. 

  • Q. How do alcohol and drugs affect my cover?
  • When it comes to alcohol we understand that for some, there’s no better way to kick off a holiday than with a poolside cocktail (or two). However, please note we may exclude any claims where excessive drugs or alcohol have been involved.

  • Q. Am I covered for pickpocketing?
  • Yes- you’re covered for muggings provided of course, you were acting with reasonable care (i.e. did not leave your belongings unattended). If you’re the victim of a pickpocket (even of the cheeky monkey variety), you’d be covered for loss, theft and damage to your luggage and personal effects. If you are robbed it’s important that you get a police report and contact us as soon as possible.

  • Q. Is my IPad, SLR camera or laptop covered?
  • Bear in mind the most we will pay for individual single items is $1,000, and $3,000 for personal computers, video recorders or cameras. If you are taking particularly expensive items on your holiday – make sure they are covered! Even if you’ve purchased our Comprehensive Plus plan (with a benefit amount of $25,000 for luggage and belongings), you would not be covered for a single item worth $25,000.

  • Q. What is a dependant?
  • A dependant refers to your child or grandchild not in full-time employment under the age of 19 and travelling with you on your journey.

  • Q. What do you mean by ‘family’?
  • At TINZ we define ‘family’ as your spouse or partner and your dependent children or grandchildren. Your family members would need to be travelling with you at all times and must be named on your Certificate of Insurance.